Monday, May 9, 2011

Os - Journal

I’m not entirely sure of what to think of Trenton’s studio. I’m not sure what to think of Art anymore either.

It all seemed pretty underwhelming and I wonder about what makes a good artist great. It seems that all of it happens internally.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that I started listening to Brackhage around the same time that I was thinking about this.

Brackhage talks about listening to the buzzing in his head that he calls his muse, something we all have the capability of doing, and letting work flow out of him.

I think that’s what a good artist does. Being able to feel inspired from that weird spiritual place people find so hard to talk about and letting that flow uninhibited. It’s easy to fuck it up though. Over thinking things and forcing yourself in to the work.

Most of the time it seems like a good artists don’t know what they’re doing. I think it takes time for them to realize what it is that they’re doing. The doing happens naturally. The explaining seems to be the harder part.

It seems that the most successful artists are capable of articulating their works as well as they are at making it. Everyone is capable of making great work, but to be a good artist and what makes an artist and artist, is understanding and communicating that process.

That’s still a working definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment